by: CMC - 25th January 2010

Terrain
Attitude, ownership, COST

I have been skiing at Mammoth since age 4 (29yrs), I worked for the mountain for 3 years as an instructor, and can honestly, and sadly, report that this past weekend the mountain was disasterously and insultingly managed. Tickets are $87 (WOW), and after a week of storms, the mountain kept the entire mountain save for the lower 1/3 closted for the first half of Saturday. They even shut 22, which had been running every day during the week long storms! 10 was closed. 3 and 5 opened late in the day @1pm, and then they had the audacity to open (23) the top at 3pm! If you ski out of anywhere but the main lodge, how can you ski the top at 3pm?! For $87, lodging, food and time, i expect better. I understand avalanches and keeping the top shut. I get that...but I've never seen such conservative management of the rest of the hill. On top of that, the people that work there act like the patrons are an inconvenience? Hey guys, 1) you work for Mammoth, you don't own it and 2) with out us visitors, you have no job or living, so you should learn to kiss some ass. Really, anyone skiing up there is "rich" due to the prices, and likely expect top service to go with those prices. And the service is miserable! Tissues? Nope. Friendly smile from an employee? Yeah right! Next time I'll take my money to Utah (Alta and the Bird and others). Equal to better skiing, better prices, better ski towns, better experience and WAY more family friendly. Sad really...Mammoth is just another corporation taking the fun out of the experience.