by: govey80 - 21st January 2009

Absolutely Massive, One of the few truely elite mountains
Dinning options were limited especially in the moderate price range

I spent MLK weekend at Mammoth Mountain. I hadn't been there in about 15 years and forgot how fantastic it is. Despite not having new snow in 3 weeks, the mountain had adequate coverage aside from a few exposed rocks on the upper mountain. The mountain is truely mammoth in size. Despite being a busy vacation weekend, I never waited in a lift line longer than 10 minutes and most of the time the wait was less than 2 minutes. The mountain is extremely interconnected. There are so many lifts criss-crossing the mountain that traversing from one end of the mountain to another takes no more than 2 chair lifts. The best terrain is off the upper mountain (the gondola and chair 23) and the inner peaks of chair 3 and chair 5. (I can't comment on the Avalanche Chutes off of chair 22 because there was no coverage on the entrances, but I remember them being very good.) Cornice and Scotty's were very good all weekend, but the entrances to Climax, Paranoid Flats and the Dropout and Wipeout Chutes were extremely exposed. The best snow was off of chair 3 and chair 5. While I am not someone who ventures into the terrain parks, I can certainly appreciate the quality of the multiple parks. Not only was their multiple parks, but there were areas for beginners, intermediates and pros as well as a half pipe. The only area that I didn't give a perfect score to was the nightlife. There are adequate places to go grab a drink, but my problem is more with the dining choices. There was certainly a lack of affordable dining options. There were very few options that fell between McDonalds and a $25 entree. I can appreciate the inflated prices of a ski resort/town, but the few places that were reasonable were so packed with people that we couldn't even find parking to figure out what the wait time was. Overall, a legendary ski area!