Mammoth

by: Billy Peele - Jan 27, 2014

Pros: Everything

Cons: Nothing

Recommended For: Singles, Family Friendly

You know... I came here for a week during the worst snow season in the history of Mammoth. I still don't have anything bad to say about this place. Obviously, the lack of snowfall is not their fault. They managed to make the most of what they had and blew man-made snow throughout a portion of our stay. With only 1/3 of the runs being open, we still managed to have a good time on the runs that were available and even some off-course back country exploration (which was pretty challenging since conditions were a little bare). Snow was hard and fast. Overnight freeze, then groomed, then eventually would get soft and almost slushy in parts. Towards the end of our trip though, there was more consistency and the man-made snow was good. Even the village was pretty dead during our stay on account of the weather, but I still have nothing but good things to say about it. I think it's the culture there that makes the difference. Everyone is super friendly and helpful and the town has a unique charm to it that is very endearing. With conditions the way they are, I wouldn't recommend coming for more than a few days - I think we overdid it, but we planned the trip months ago, so who knew? Watch for rocks and avoid if possible, but otherwise, conditions were not bad. It is what you make of it. We managed to still have fun, even if it meant packing it in for some afternoon beers at the lodge on the warmer days. Would love to come back once conditions improve.