Mammoth Is Special

by: Powder Hound 100 - Apr 23, 2013

Pros: Big Mountain - Friendly Staff - Shuttle Service

Cons: Wind and White Out...

Date Visited: Mar 1, 2013

I like Mammoth because I live in Los Angeles and I still think it's so cool we have such a big mountain with such a long history in a state associated with beaches. Mammoth has something for everyone. It is an awesome place to learn to ski and for families. It is also good for everyone else too. There is no nightlife on the mountain but there are many bars in town and an assortment of restaurants. Mammoth Mountain Inn/Yodler food has never been great. There is always something wrong with it. It's not horrible but there are always oddities leaving me scratching my head. The $32 rib eye never seems to come out the same way twice. Either it's over cooked or under cooked and it comes with a silly TOO sweet carrot compote. The dish is silly. The Vegetable Shepard's Pie at the Yodler is a side dish they are selling as an entree. At least this year 2013 you can order bread. Last year they had no bread available with your entree. That's weird right? No bread in a restaurant. The Mountain is good. I love the Tram. Get me to the top. The problem is Mammoth fogs up too often and I can't count on my fingers and toes how many times they closed runs and lifts i wanted to ski. 55 mile an hour winds are common. Mammoth remains my "Go to Mountain". If only Southwest flew there so I didn't have to deal with Alaska Air.