So close and yet so far away

by: ski_hike - Oct 3, 2008

Pros: Varied terrain, Eagle bowl, backside

Cons: Wish it had more vertical, parking is bad on weekends

Recommended For: Singles, Empty Nesters

Date Visited: Apr 1, 2008

I was a pass holder at Kirkwood, and loved it. When I first moved to Reno years ago I heard people talk about kirkwood and how they had a pass and how far it was. I figured it had to be good if people were willing to drive that far (a lot of other Tahoe resorts are closer). Those people were right. Kirkwood is great. I love the variety of terrain, especially Eagle bowl and the backside. I gave a low family friendly rating because the area is so big, families can get spread out. I am not a park skier, so I gave 3 stars. Nightlife doesn't matter to me, I come for the skiing. The one complaint I have is parking, which is horrible on weekends. During the week you can usually grab a spot close to the lifts, but on weekends they charge $20 for it. Kirkwood pass office just called yesterday offering me a great deal on the 6 wood pass, because I was a prior season pass holder. I thought about it long and hard and almost bought it, but the drive just gets to over the course of a season. Other than that, I love it. Costco used ot have some pretty good ticket deals.