by: Hardly Vailed - 22nd December 2008

A Bunch of Great Intermediate Runs with Views
Usually a Longer Ride to Get There

I've been skiing Tahoe for 30+ years. If you are getting tired of the big resorts and the resulting crowds, Homewood will definitely be worth a visit. Last season, my wife and I had season passes to Kirkwood. Every Thursday, Homewood had a $10 lift ticket if you could show a season pass from another resort. What a great time we had on our discounted ticket, skiing all the intermediate runs. We only had a few Thursdays when the crowd was a factor. One factor that made this Thursday trip so appealing was that Highway 89 (Emerald Bay Road) was open to car traffic almost all winter last season, cutting the driving time from our rental in South Lake Tahoe from 1 hour, 17 minutes to 38 minutes, plus we got to drive by Emerald Bay each day. And on the way home, I hated to admit it, but we stopped at the Chinese Buffet at Hunan Garden way too many times for our big meals for the day. Tired from skiing Homewood and stuffed with Hunan's reliable cuisine....only a quick nap could make it better. The Thursday pass has gone up to $25 as the corporation that owns both Homewood and Alpine Meadows starts their development project. Still worth it. Hope 89 stays open. Definitely worth a try.