by: diverrn - 17th March 2009

Long runs over varied terrain
Not enough snow, windy

I couldn't stop looking at the views from each part of the runs. Seeing Lake Tahoe surrounded by snowcapped mountains was breath taking, and I was frequently distracted by vistas of the desert. This area has so much to offer. Some of the "runs" are pretty flat for a while, especially when transitioning from one area to another, but I guess that can't be helped sometimes. One of the days I was there, the gondola and some of the lifts had to be closed due to high winds. I could still ski the California side or the Nevada side, but couldn't ski from one to the other. The trams were still available to transport me back and forth if I had chosen that. Since I was staying at the base of the gondola, it was frusterating, but again, the tram took me between my hotel and the open lifts in a matter of minutes. I had purchased a pass online more that 2 weeks before I left Florida for my trip and was disappointed that they did not arrive before I had to leave. It was easy enough to get the pass at the gondola base, but I had to wait in line nearly 45 minutes, a step I could have skipped. Getting my equipment was fast and easy and the rental shop stored my skis for easy retrieval every morning. I was even able to switch to another pair of boots at a different shop so I didn't have to return to the gondola base when I decided the pair I had wasn't working for me. The second pair was fantastic--even though the sizes were the same.