by: John Gonzalez - 27th August 2008

Huge Mountain, Tons of runs
Crowds

I'm a South Tahoe native, so I've been here plenty of times. I'd still rather go to Kirkwood any day of the week. I prefer Squaw over this place too, since they hook the military up with free tickets.....something Heavenly is too greedy, or too cheap to do.....despite having huge crowds, and undoubtably making tons of money. The snow here is so-so too.....sub par because of it's east slope location. It's decent on big snow years, but totally lacking on others, and has to rely too much on man-made stuff. The mountain does have some good terrain though, and it's varied, with dozens of runs to choose from. There are some great lake views too. A little advice: avoid Heavenly at all costs on holiday weekends for sure, when it is overrun by hoardes of people driving in from the Bay Area, and Sacramento. Also trying to get from the California to Nevada side, and vice-versa, is a pain.....and anybody who has been here knows what I'm talking about. They have never improved this, and I'm not sure why.