Heavenly Mountain Resort Review

by: anhillx - Nov 1, 2006

Date Visited: Nov 1, 2006

Great views, but limited variety on terrain. I was brought up in Sac and spent alot of family vacations at Heavenly. But, things change. Use to be the Milky Way to Stagecoast run was the talk of the West. Now I go to Heavenly for the novelty, but not terrain and mountain experience. I actually get frustrated when I ski there now. It's a difficult hill to move around on. The chairs don't flow well together, so you spent alot of time go to/fro places. The best technical skiing is in Killebrew/Mott Canyon, but it's not alot of vert and the chairs over there seem even slow for a attached double. I'm all for the charm of a slow double, but these don't really do it for me. If you roam around some you find some ok groomers, but you'll also find alot of crowds. It's a pretty popular resort and you'll get your share of international experience on the chairs talking with lots of foreigners. I'd give Gunbarrel a thumbs up though. If you'd like to test your skills, try hanging with Glen Plake on the annual Gunbarrel challenge. 1.7K of volkwagon moguls for 50 runs in the 1 day. That could be interesting. The service and food is so so. It's no Deer Valley. Now, if you're hanging in the Casinos and need somewhere to take the edge off the hang-over, than by all means jump on the Gondola. Otherwise, I'll point my headlights toward Kirkwood, Squak, Alpine, ... In fairness, they have some pretty good bands at the CA base. I've caught some pretty good acts after finishing on Gunbarrel. The CA base has keep it's S. Lake Tahoe roots.