by: anonymous_user - 9th June 2008

During the 2007/2008 season I took the Bay Area Ski Bus (bayareaskibus.com) - great operation by the way, and no, I don't work for them - with the intent of skiing a day at Squaw. However, there was too much snow on the road and traffic was barely moving, so the bus decided to divert to Boreal instead of continuing two hours longer to get to Squaw. Basically, I thought Boreal sucked. I am an Advanced skier and not a single run at Boreal was challenging enough for me. Most runs were extremely short with the exception of one ok tree run. I will give them credit for their good terrain park, but I honestly don't think it's any better than the parks at Northstar or any other major resort. While some people say that Boreal is a good place for novice skiers/boarders, I'd have to disagree. The short runs become repetative and the lifts are slow. Because there are so many novice skiers/boarders, you can expect having to dodge them as they fall in front of you. In addition, the food is edible, but not nearly as good as other resorts I've been too. If I were you, I'd drive the extra hour or so (road conditions permitting, of course) to a better resort such as Squaw, Sugarbowl, Bear Valley, Kirkwood, Alpine, etc. Sure, you'll end up spending $10-20 more per lift ticket, but it's well worth it for the more interesting runs and faster lifts, nice lodges, food, etc... Even if you're a beginning skier, I really don't see the point in going to a crappy, small ski resort. And if you're going for the terrain park, don't get your hopes up. It really isn't better than others I've seen. Basically, unless you're stuck in a snow storm, resist the urge to pull over at Boreal. While it's more convenient, it's a sad waste of your time considering it's so close to Tahoe's world class resorts that only cost a few bucks more. If you want a cheap season pass, check out Heavenly! If you're still stuck on the small resort idea, I'd recommend Bear Valley, Kirkwood, or Sugarbowl.