by: govey80 - 17th December 2008

It is a 2 1/2 hour drive from my house
Fewer runs and more wanna-be snowboarders than overrated Snow Summit

The only resort that I had been to in Big Bear was Snow Summit prior to last year. As disappoited as I had always been with the lack of challenging terrain, how small the mountain was, and the attitude and behavior of the population (both skiers and snowboarders) at Snow Summit, Bear Mountain took things to a whole new low. The only redeaming characterist of Bear Mountain is that it has snow in Southern California. The snowboard park is filled with wanna-be pro snowboarders and their lemmings. The park itself is put together well, but you have to deal with the people who use it. Bear Mountain is not a mountain. It is barely a hill. Of the 3 lifts that reach the highest points on the mountain, the 2 tallests lifts access only 1 run a piece, and the third one gives you access to 90% of the terrain so everyone is funneled onto one lift unless you want to bore yourself to tears skiing the same run for 6 hours. The "Being a Jerk is Cool" attitude of the skiers and snowboarders at Bear gets really annoying, fast, and certainly doesn't make it family friendly. There is no such thing as a Nightlife in Big Bear. I can't believe that anyone would rate this as anything other than a poor resort. As bad as Snow Summit is, at least if you head up for a mid-week warm up day, you don't feel completely ripped off; however, Bear Mountain is a torturous experience. I never thought that I could have a terrible day skiing, but Bear Mountain has managed to accomplish that. As my title stated, I would rather be at work than pay to have a bad day at Bear.