Bear Mountain Review

by: anonymous_user - Feb 4, 2008

Date Visited: Feb 4, 2008

This was my first time skiing in So Cal. I'm used to the Tahoe resorts. The experience was decent. I went for a day trip on a Saturday and the traffic was horrible once I hit the mountains, which I guess should be expected. Once I reached the resort it took me forever to actually get on a lift because I had to take a shuttle from a dirt/mud lot to the slopes and the lines for the shuttle were huge. The place was packed, but to my surprise, once I reached the upper lifts (lifts 8 & 4) there were no lift lines.

There were a couple of advanced runs at the top, but no moguls to speak of. This was because the mountain is 80 - 90% snowboarders, so there aren't enough skiers to carve bumps. On the plus side, apparently the boarders do not like steep runs which leaves the upper advanced stuff to the skiers.

Unfortunately, the upper lifts are not linked and are not accessible to one another, so it takes a long time to travel from one upper lift to another using lower mountain access lifts. The mountain would be much better for advanced skiers/boarders if they would add a lift or two linking lifts 8, 4 and 9 on the upper mountain so you would not have to ski all the way down to the bottom to catch another challenging lift.

I didn't expect Squaw Valley, so I have to say I was pleasantly surprised to have a couple of advanced runs to enjoy. the snow was pretty good since it had been dumping the week before. It got a little old by mid afternoon though due to lack of options, so I called it a day early.

For a local resort, this isn't bad. The price, $64, is too high though, especially if you are looking for any type of advanced skiing. But in the end, if it is this skiing or no skiing, I'll take it!