by: Damon - 17th January 2010

Everything
extremely expensive beer in the village

This was my first trip to an International Ski Resort. This was also my 9th day ever skiing so I can say I was excited to be fortunate enough to visit the #1 Ski Resort in North America. I can say that the slopes are world class, the staff extremely professional, and the environment was incredible. For anyone that hasn't visited the mountains in the past year or ever, the Peak to Peak Gondola is an absolute must! The slopes on both mountains had plenty of runs for all levels and of course challenging to those who are beyond beginner/intermediate levels. The staff at all the facilities were extremely friendly and professional. One pleasant surprise was that even the other skiers were very friendly and courteous on the slopes as well as in the resorts/restaurants/pubs. A big tradition is a visit to Longhorn's bar during the day...just ski right into the pub. Whistler Village offers some great places to shop, eat, and party. Unfortunately while I was there, we had a storm come through that dropped about 70cm of snow over night causing a tree to fall on the Whistler gondola line closing that mountain down. The staff at both mountains worked vigorously through the night to repair the gondola as well as groom all the runs. Their devotion to skiing and boarding is what makes this destination #1 in North America. For anyone that wants a true ski experience with all the tradition and splendor, Whistler-Blackcomb is the place to go. I intend to make this dream a recurring one!