Meh....overrated

by: Micah Black - Jan 29, 2014

Pros: Big Terrain, Good slackcountry access

Cons: Pricey. Unbelievably crowded

Recommended For: Singles

I grew up in Whistler and love it here. I've watched a small ski town grow into a bustling metropolis.....and in some ways thats not a bad thing. At least they upgraded the lifts. I'll take the rainy days and slushy, wet snow.....i mean come on...if you ski the north west, its what you get. The thing I hate the most about Whistler though is the crowds. I absolutely hate skiing on weekends and holidays here, let alone a 10cm+ day. You'll spend 80% of your day in lift lines EASY. I'd rather head to the interior....which is what I do on most ocassions....or I'll go do some touring/sledding.

The village is cool. If you like to party in a ski town, Whistler is definitely the place to be. The nightlife has prospered over the years and more pubs/clubs keep popping up. The locals really never hit the clubs that much....or the big touristy spots. I think we still like to claim the less crowded places. There's no shortage of cops/security in the town for a reason. People love to come here to get completely drunk vs shred the hill.

You get used to the bus loads of Asians I guess....pushing and clawing their way to the hill dressed in the latest retro fashions (haha). Oh, and you'll enjoy listening to all the Aussies claim that they're from Whistler (equally as funny), but that is kind of what Whistler is these days. Its a money-maker.....a massive ski business....a tourists dream. They don't necessarily cater to the hardcore skier anymore as much as they do the tourists willing to pay extravagant prices. So, if you're cool with that, you should be all good.