A Blast!

by: ilovepow - May 10, 2010

Pros: Size, Terrain, Bowl Powder

Cons: Pricey, Base = Wet

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2010

We went to the resort 2 weeks before the Olympics this year. We were expecting a big mountain. Whistler/Blackcomb just re-wrote the chapter in my life about Big Mountains. This place is beyond comprehension its so massive. And I'm not just referring to the peak, but the shear size/acreage! Never before have I been able to look in any angle and see mountain. It was absurd!

The base of the mountain was mostly rain for the week, which had us all immediately in a panic. After the initial gondola ride, all the wet turned to snow. Albeit, a wet snow, but at least we could board/ski. The further up you, the more dried out it becomes. Before you know it, you go from slush and evergreens, to peaks and pow pow.

If you are a beginner, don't be afraid to travel up the mountain a bit. Being that the mountain is so massive, it isn't as steep as you would expect.

Being a fairly yound resort, everything was expensive. A 30-pack of beer was $50 Canadian (not too different than the US dollar). I decided to cook a small pasta dish one night and that ran me over $60 for supplies.

The town is beautiful. You have a very homey feel when walking around. People are exptremely nice and everyone is always smiling. A must do, but be prepared to spend.

Jersey Creme! Great run!!!