Stay in bounds!

by: subhunter123 - Feb 18, 2010

Pros: Challenging terrain that's all to yourself, historically high amounts of champagne POW

Cons: Could use a little more development, beginner / intermediate runs...

Date Visited: Feb 1, 2009

I decided to go to Revie with a good buddy after finding out another friend had a blast there the year before. When I saw the stats and lift ticket prices, I was sold. Unfortunately, we only got 10-20 cms the whole week we were there but knew some locals who took us out of bounds for some freshies and well-kept secrets. Thanks to this, I got a good idea of what it would be like after a 30 cm + dump... the glades and bowls would be hard to beat in such conditions. 2008-2009 was a generally bad season for snow accumulation, considering how much they usually get. The groomers were pretty good though and Devil's Club top to bottom is a great way to end your day.

We decided to go cat skiing to get some real pow in Sicamous which was amazing and well worth it. The next day, back at Revie, we decided to head out of bounds again off Greely bowl but went too far this time and me and my buddy got lost. We followed some fresh tracks for hours hoping they would bring us back to the lifts, but it wasn't the case and we just ended up finding another guy all alone also lost, whose life we pretty much saved.

The lifts were closed by this point (±4:00 pm) so we built a snow cave and spent the night and next 16 hours on the mountain at 5000' in minus 16C cold with no food, little water + sleep (if any) and just our sweaty ski clothes. We managed to send a text message to a friend in the village prior to ''digging in'' after 10 tries due to poor Blackberry reception (at least there was some!) but never got a reply until the next morning, probably due to the reception improving. To simply say we had a cold night is huge understatement.

Anyways, thanks to our text message and friends in the village, RMR & the RCMP sent us a helicopter and guide (awesome dude) to bring us to the landing site above the tree line the next day (more hiking!). The rescue costed $1500 for the three of us but I would have paid $1000+ for just myself if I had to. This was our last day at the mountain anyways, so we headed home back east after that to our worried sick wives. Of course, there are more details to this story but I'm just sharing it to make sure people don't do the same mistake we did. Since this season, the North Face trail map states that the mountain is conically shaped and that it is very easy to get lost if you go out of bounds. I can confirm that this is very true.

Regardless of our experience, I would definitely go back to RMR after checking out a few other places first (ex. Jackson Hole). In a few years when they expand and make the terrain a little more accessible to all and doable for beginners & intermediates it will be a considerable up & comer if not on par with other big resorts. The Powder Springs motel is apparently a place to be avoided, although we stayed across the street at the Revelstoke Inn which was ok for two guys who don't mind 3 stars... I also didn't mind the lack of bars and nightlife because I went to RMR to ride. If you ride like you should, you'll be in bed by 9-10 pm anyways.

This is definitely a place to keep an eye on for the next 5-10 years... Hopefully climate change / global warming won't screw things up too bad...