by: wstorey1 - 4th April 2013

Steep, Deep & Amazing Terrain
Night Life

I never write reviews - however after reading the previous one I felt compelled......Red is by FAR one of the top 3-4 Resorts in North America for Advanced-Expert skiers and boarders – the terrain is amazing – we were boarding/skiing at Red for 5 days and we never did the same run twice, honestly once you drop into the tree’s you have no idea what run you are actually on – the trees are well enough spaced for a good advacnced to expert boarder (or skier – my buddy was on teli’s) – most of the runs are action packed, long, steep, challenging and the snow was great for late season (I would kill to be there on a Powder Day)…..what more could you want in a ski hill? Currently they have a Cat up to Granite Mountain (great operators, 20 minute ride up for 10 bucks) – there is some great ‘kinda’ runs cut there currently – but once again if you are adventurous you can just drop into the trees and let it rip. We were there late in the season and still found plenty of fresh tracks – we did not ever want to leave. (added plus – everyone we met on the hill and in town was SUPER friendly) However, this is not a hill for everyone – terrain is limited for those not at least at the advanced level, if you can’t get down a black run at a traditional resort with style and grace then this is not really the hill for you (the Blacks at Red are really black – the Double Blacks are crazy – check out Ledges or Cambodia). Also night life is ‘limited’ there is one bar on hill (Rafters) that has a pretty good Apres, however after 7PM it is tough to find a good place to go. Finally, all low speed lifts here – which sounds really bad, however after coming down a super steep tree run your legs will appreciate the 15 minute ride up back up the motherload chair. Summary – this is skier/boarder hill, if you want to go hit some of the best and hardest runs in Canada I would HIGHLY recommend Red. If you are looking for lots of blue cruisers, a great nightlife, and high speed lifts this is probably not the best hill for you. We are already planning our trip out for next year – so I am 100% SOLD!