by: Graham Comfort - 21st December 2011

Superb expert terrain, superb snow, and superb town.
Poor lift system and not as family friendly as others.

I have been to Kicking Horse twice. Once with my wife and once with my wife and kids (aged 7 and 10 at the time). For my wife and I who are experts, it was fabulous...perhaps our best trip ever. This is due to the amazing terrain and the dry snow, and to quote Johnny Cash "We've been everywhere man" (In Canada anyways) . For my kids, three days was too much. They were bored because they could only really ski the Catamount chair. They weren't ready for the upper part of the moutain yet. When designing the lifts, I don't know why they didn't have a mid-way loading and unloading station for the gondola...It Iis such a huge oversight that I wonder what happened. Was it a total cost cutting measure. It must have been, but someone must be or should be fired. They need another quad lift for the upper East side of the mountain, because as another reviewer mentioned, You have to ski a 4100 foot vertical to the bottom of the Gondola, even if you just want to poach the amazing chutes at the top. That being said, I love the hill itself, the town of Golden is great and it is not as touristy (is that a word) or busy as Banff, and locals are very friendly. The family (kids now 9 and 12) are heading there for Christmas. Kids are now solid intermediate skiers so hopefully we can do more of the hill. I will add a new post when I return. Fix the lift system and my family would go nowhere else. New lifts are said to be in the works...we will see. If they update the lift sytem, I will retire in Golden.