by: anonymous_user - 7th November 2006

This place is unique. I have skied most of the Western US and Canada in the last 20 years and was quite impresed by Fernie. I only decided to write this review because I felt the place will probably become something more significant in the years to come. There is loads of potential, it just isn't there yet! Currently one should really be a fairly advanced skier to really appreciate what a gem the place is. There is loads of terrfic "fall line" skiing to be found if you aren't afraid to be a little adventurous. Not quite Whistler standard with respect to total vertical but definetly in the same league when it comes to thrilling decents and arguably in a league of its own when it comes to quantity of snow (occasionally admittedly interrupted by light rain at lower elevations). I always believe the overall standard of skiing is usually a fairly good indicator of the quality of skiing available. The better the skiing the higher the standard of skier the resort attracts. Fernie is testament to this theory. Good terrain, good snow quality and good resorts attract good skiers. If you don't ski 50 days a year don't even start thinking you are a skier in the league I am talking about (unfortunately I don't qualify either). As far as accomodation is concerned, Fernie has improved tremendously over the last 5 years. There are some pretty "swanky" places to stay on the hill and there are more developments planned. Apres ski variety is limited. Having said this, the limited range is more than made up for by the intensity of apres ski participation. People ski hard, drink hard and party late in this town. I witnessed tons of famillies on the hill and in town so I would suggest the place caters to all kinds but I am not really equipped to comment on this with any authority. I would definetly recommend Fernie. This place will not remain a relative secret for too much longer. A friend of mine indicated another round of development is planned to start happening in the next couple years. This will change the place forever. Hopefully this is a helpful frank assessment for anybody considering Fernie as a destination one of these days.