by: wayne - 26th April 2011

terrain, tree skiing, reasonable cost
small village, ? fog

SKied big white with my family in February. It was as promised- great family resort. First snow is excellent/ interior BC. Terrain very impressive- although no bowls [ excellent the cliff], great terrain- Skis much bigger than the stats. Why ? Cause it has amazing tree skiing- You can head into the trees off almost any run and have the trail to youself. Ive been to many resorts , including Steamboat which reputedly has the best tree skiing- this is way better. Three days after the last snow , I still found powder in the trees; Also, the trees were nicely spaced so it was easy to ski- even my kids followed me in off the green runs.I was fortunate not to experience the famed 'fog' while I was there, just lucky i guess. Gem lake lift is incredible- I was told it was longest lift in N America, and it is usually not crowded- it will make your legs wearyMountain not crowded- on the weekends, locals come and were grumbling about the huge lines- I was laughing as the wait lines went from 1-2 minutes to 5 minutes max.[ really not bad at all] The resort makes a point to cater to families- all with great results- excellent ski school and nursery, not to mention tubing, sleigh rides, skating- even the corny things like 'Big white idol' and 'carnival nite' were enjoyed by the family. Cost was very reasonable compared to other resorts [ get tickets from costco.com online]. Village was small, which is good as it meant easy access/ close walk from our condo- bad if you want more glitz/ nightlife. There were only a few restaurants, but 3-4 of them were really top notch/ high level cuisine, snowshoe Sams actually was NOT one of them. Food at the market in village expensive- but what do you expect at a ski mountain? Most people, like us, stopped in Kelowna from airport and picked up food there. they will even deliver it to you for a fee. Its only 40 minutes into town. we had direct flight from Toronto, but I understand that access from most cities, other than Calgary/ vancouver is a pain.Overall, if you're looking for a great family ski vacation that is reasonably priced [ and you dont care that much for glitz], this place rivals any other in North America.