by: tride - 19th February 2014

Weather, Lift Lines, Lots of Runs
Needs upgrading, Poor Service,

I've skied Sunrise since 1973. There's so much potential there but the operators (Apache Reservation) have not seemed like they really care about the resort. On any given day 40% of the employees do not show up without retribution. One day I was there (weekend) I chose to eat at the beautiful Apache Peak Lodge. 2 people were working the food line and 1 person at the cash register. Took 45 min to get my food. Other times the beginner runs were not groomed and it made it really hard on my 2 kids....ruined their day. There are some very difficult runs there on Cyclone with a lot of flat after them to get to the lift. That lift is so long (without padding and no foot rest) it should really be a high-speed lift. 2014 season shows promise. I'm glad they have opened the Sunrise west side runs as glades! How cool! The website is beginning to look like a real ski area website with grooming reports! I hope the new management team will actually have the green light to keep up with the management/operations improvements. Now all they need is a casino at the base with slopeside lodging! Overall, there's good skiing and the weather is usually great (unlike Snowbowls days that limit the lift operations).