by: ronaldandlola - 26th August 2009

• Nightlife
views from Seven Glaciers breathtaking
service in Seven Glaciers medicore, food average

We arrived at the hotel after a long trip from Fairbanks which included some sightseeing. Very tired, we decided on quick showers and dinner at another restaurant that had been recommended. When my son checked us in, the agent at the front desk suggested we eat dinner at the Seven Glaciers that evening as we had a long trip planned the next day and might not return in time... a good suggestion. Our son lives in Alaska and family and friends like to visit him. I would recommend the hotel but not the restaurants; Seven Glaciers and The Pond. Medicore food (our experience) and rude to insulting service. I dined there a few years ago along with 10 other people and we found the food and service to be outstanding; we had a wonderful experience which made me want to return. To be specific, no smile at the reservation desk and a sigh as she asked if we had a reservation. (Maybe our "Alaskan casual" was too casual?...if so just come right out and say what it is). The maitre d was the same. We were early so sat at the bar as no room at a table. No one offered us an appetizer menu, though the bartender, Jason, suggested a very good wine. The maitre d did not come and get us, he sent the bartender down to ask who we were. When he seated us, he said, "now wasn't this worth the wait?" actually we didn't wait that long and no the view wasn't the greatest, plus my son said under his breath, "yes this is great, with the sun shining straight into my eyes". Our waitress was smiling and we received our main course etc in a timely manner. Her helpers were much friendlier. When we ordered dessert, our waitress sat down with the people at the table next to us and chatted and chatted as we waited and waited for our dessert. The crab was "limp"...not firm...that is the only way I can describe it. The next morning we ate at The Pond breakfast buffet. The lady that greeted us asked if we were staying at the hotel and she was also very cool and she very obviously nodded to the waitress as we came in...? giving her the okay that we coud be seated? The food was warm to cold. My son thought someone might not have kept the warmers heated to where they should be. I keep remembering the rooms and the wonderful views and maybe I will try the restaurants again in your hotel; I wonder if I really dressed up if that would make a difference. I also wonder if the recession has made a difference in the food and service. Maybe we should have ordered room service...who knows. The next day we ate dinner at another place and the food was outstanding; one dish had been voted the best in the US. I didn't order that, but mine was hot and excellent. We dressed very casually as, once again we were tired from a boat trip at Seward; had a medical emergency on the boat and I'm a retired coronary nurse so responded...fortunately the person didn't appear to have a cardiac problem but we were delayed about an hour and I did stay with the patient until EMTs took over at the harbor. Needless to say, we were exhausted so the very friendly service and excellent food were just what we needed. People are packed into that restaurant, but it didn't seem to matter. My 3 daughters and their families and friends plan on visiting their brother soon and he said he will still recommend the hotel's rooms as it is well located for sightseeing and the grounds are beautiful. Some of them ski, some don't. While my husband and son were eating in the Pond the next morning (yes they tried it again), they heard one couple recommend to another couple, the restaurant we had tried the night before! I will probably try the restaurants again as anyone can have an off day and I just can't forget that wonderful first experience; I'll even try being a little dressier...maybe.