by: Hellfytr77 - 28th October 2006

I lived in Anchorage for about a year and during the winter I was at Alyeska almost every week. Now after snowboarding in 4 states and 2 provinces I can honestly say that Alyeska is one of the best there is. It has terrain for everyone. If you want steeps hit the North Face. If you like shoots find Christmas Shoot and hold on tight. If parks and cliff drops are your thing then 24 inches of fresh pow will make your landings heavenly. The timberline in Alaska is at 2000ft so tree skiing is the only down side to Alyeska. It just doesnt exist eventhough the base elevation is like 300ft. If the terrain doesnt get you the views will. Mountains everywhere and the Turnagain Arm provides a nice splash of water to the scenery. Another downside, if you can call it that, is there is really no backcountry access. This doesnt really matter though because you are at Alyeska. If you want backcountry go to Turnagain Pass. The only reason I am not giving Alyeska a 5 is because I like to snowboard in the trees. You will love this place, trust me.